These bounty bars are featured in my first book as well and they’re extremely popular! And it’s well deserved. Apart from being really delicious, they’re easy to make and they contain very few carbs and lots of healthy fat from coconut which makes them both filling and satisfying.
Compared to a regular bounty bar, these are not very sweet. I always prefer using as little sweetener as possible and since the coconuts have some natural sweetness to them, I managed to keep the added sweetener very low. If you want them a little bit sweeter, just add a little more of your sweetener of choice.
I chose to sweeten these with Sukrin. Sukrin derives from the sugar alcohol erythritol, which isn’t absorbed in the body. That means that Sukrin has a glycemic index of zero meaning that it doesn’t affect your blood sugar at all which also makes it suitable for diabetics.
This recipe contains affiliate links.
- the cream of 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 large tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Sukrin(or your sweetener of choice)
- 150 g dessiccated coconut
- 150 g dark chocolate (70-80%)
2. Open the can and take out the coconut cream with a spoon. Put it in a small sauce pan together with coconut oil. Warm it up gently and let the coconut cream and oil melt.
3. Add Sukrin and dessiccated coconut to the sauce pan and toss it in the coconut cream till you have a thick greasy coconut mix.
4. Pour the coconut mix in a small bread form covered with cling film. Pres the coconut mix well into the form and even it on the top. Put it in the freezer for an hour or two.
5. Cut little square bars of the coconut mix and put them in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate.
6. Melt chocolate over a double boiler and dip you coconut bars in using two forks. Set them aside on a plate covered with baking paper.
7. Put your chocolate covered bounty bars in the fridge and take them out right before serving them.
Because of the high content of coconut oil, they melt fairly easy in room temperature so you don’t want to leave them out of the fridge for too long.
Products used in this recipe: