I stopped eating bread 5 years ago when I found out, I was intolerant to gluten. In the beginning, I couldn’t figure out what to eat because I was so used to eating bread or pasta with every meal. I tried baking all kinds of glutenfree bread but they all tasted like dirt, to be honest! So after a while, I gave up the idea of bread as I knew it and started eating primarily vegetables, meat and healthy fats.
I still bake sometimes but now I bake entirely without any grains. Instead I use nut flours or vegetables as a base. I really like the idea of replacing something that most people eat too much of (bread) with something that most people don’t eat enough of (vegetables). And that’s where these veggie breads come into play!
I use them for sandwiches, burger buns, hotdog bread, minipizzas, you name it! I rarely follow a specific recipe, I just make them with whatever vegetables I have in my fridge.
14-16 VEGGIE BREADS
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (about 400 g)
- 1/2 head of broccoli (about 400 g)
- 1 small handful of parsley
- 120 g grated cheese (I used an aged cheddar)
- 3/4 cups of sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 25 g Pofiber or 3 tablespoons psyllium husks (affiliate links)
2. Ground sunflower seeds in your food processor.
3. Cut cauliflower and broccoli into small florets and put them in the food processor with the ground sunflower.
4. Add parsley, grated cheese and spices and blend. Add Pofiber/psyllium husks and blend again.
5. Shape the greasy dough into little buns and flatten them on a baking plate covered with baking paper. I needed three baking plates all together.
6. Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out when they’re golden brown and has a little crust around the edges. Carefully lift them from the baking paper with a spatula and leave them to cool.