I have a weakness for raw cakes. I know they’re not “low carb” but I like them much better than the low carb cakes and since they’re naturally gluten and dairy free, I often make them instead. And then I just live with the carbs.
One of my favorite raw cakes is a raw brownie with mint that taste exactly like the After Eight chocolates. I’m a sucker for the chocolate-mint-combo and I’ll make sure to share that recipe with you soon. This one with orange and sea buckthorn was also delicious. Sea buckthorn has a somewhat sour taste and that worked really well with the sweet chocolate base. I served this brownie for three 9 year olds (my own two + a friend) and Søren and myself. We all loved it!
This recipe contains affiliate links.
SERVES 12 (small pieces)
- 150g unsalted cashew nuts
- 200g medjool dates, pitted
- 3/8 cup Raw Cacao Powder (1 dl)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- zest from 1 organic orange
- juice from 1/2 orange
- a pinch of salt
SEA BUCKTHORN TOPPING
- 1 cup dessicated coconut (2 dl)
- 2 tablespoons Sea Buckthorn Powder
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoons orange juice
2. Put all ingredients for the base in your food processor and blend until you have a sticky uniform dough.
3. Place the batter in a small baking dish covered with baking paper and flatten it with your hands or using a spatula. Wet your hands (or the spatula) in cold water if it gets too sticky. Put it in the fridge for a few hours.
4. Blend ingredients for the topping well together and press it on top of the chocolate base. Put the cake back to the fridge for a few hours to set.
5. Cut the cake in little square bites with a sharp knife.
6. The brownie tastes better if you allow it to set over night in the fridge.
BUT I DON’T HAVE SEA BUCKTHORN POWDER!!
I realize this is not your standard ingredient. I can’t even remember when or why I have it! I’m thinking you could try leaving it out and replacing it with zest of on more organic orange. It won’t become as orange as mine, though. You could consider shredding one small carrot and blending it to the mix but I don’t know if that will add a strange taste to the topping. However, if you give it a go, please let me know how it went!
Products used in this recipe: