We cannot live of peanutbutter milkshakes or popsicles so I thought I’d do some old fashioned home cooking. Since summer is still no where to be seen, we can continue to eat heavy dishes like we did all winter. Usually, in the summer I enjoy my fresh salads but I’m still waiting for the urge to dig into those large fresh green dishes.
Instead, let’s keep having cauliflower. As you know, it’s one of my favorite vegetables and I’m using it for so many different things, like pizza, bearnaise, buns or veggie breads. In this cauliflower casserole, I tried to make a “bread crumb topping”. I’m not sure it was a complete success and I may have to give it another go, maybe using some sort of nut flour instead (like walnuts, perhaps) or even some old LCHF-bread.
This side dish is heavy and also quite fat. It goes really well with low fat meat, like fish or chicken.
SERVES 6 AS A SIDE DISH
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 100g bacon
- 400ml of cremefraiche/sour cream
- 100g of shredded cheese (like cheddar)
- salt and pepper
- 1 small tsp of ground nutmeg
- 30g of Pofiber (dried potato fibre)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 100g of shredded cheese
2. Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
3. Bring water to boil in a large pot with a pinch of salt and boil cauliflower for 5-7 minutes.
4. Drain cauliflower and place it in a medium sized greased baking dish.
5. Cut bacon in smaller pieces and put in the baking dish with the cauliflower.
6. In a small bowl, combine cremefraiche/sour cream witt cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Toss it around the cauliflower and drizzle with the last 100g of cheese.
7. In a small bowl, combine Pofiber, olive oil and finely chopped rosemary and sprinkle it over the cauliflower.
8. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.