Why make chocolate mousse, you ask? Because chocolate!
Chocolate mousse is a super simple (somewhat) low carb dessert It’s really tasty, it’s light and fluffy and really satisfying. It’s dairy free and high protein if those kinds of labels are important to you and on top of all that, it only contains two ingredients (chocolate and egg) which you probably have in your kitchen already! Maybe except chocolate, if you’re anything like me. In this house, we buy chocolate when we need it. I’m just not the type of person who can keep chocolate at home and eat one square every night. Sorry, moderation is not my key competency. Well, at least not around chocolate.
But try this recipe for yourself. You won’t be disappointed and it really doesn’t get much easier than this!
MAKES 4-6 SERVINGS
- 200g dark chocolate (70-80%)
- 4 eggs
- optional: zest from one organic orange, 3-4 drops of peppermint or aniseed essential oil
2. Separate eggs and yolks in two bowls. When the chocolate has cooled down, gently stir the yolks in the chocolate.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Mix the egg whites little by little into the chocolate until it has an even and smooth color and texture. It might look and feel a bit dodgy to begin with but it’ll come around.
4. Pour the mixture into little serving glasses and let them settle in the fridge for 2-3 hours before serving. Serve with fresh berries or eat it clean. Both ways are delicious!