Since Fall has officially started today, I thought I would share a recipe for some serious comfort food. It just does not get much better than this creamy spinach made with lots of heavy cream and layers of melted cheese. It’s comfort food LCHF/keto-style! It’s also one of these dishes that you can make when you find out your fridge is almost empty and all you have is necessities (I mean, who doesn’t have cream and butter, right?). The spinach, I used, is frozen. It’s nice to use veg from the freezer sometimes.
SERVES 4 PERSONS
- 5-600g chicken breast
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 30g butter
- 3/4 cup (2 dl) heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 dl) chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
- 2-3 tsp hot sauce
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g spinach, defrosted
- salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper
- 150g shredded cheese (like cheddar)
2. Place the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish and bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Take them out, let them cool and cut them into smaller bites. Place the bites in four smaller ovenproof bowls (or reuse the baking dish).
3. Melt butter in a small sauce pan and stir fry garlic and onions. Add chicken broth and cream together with lemon juice, hot sauce, smoked paprika and salt and pepper and bring to boil.
4. Drain all liquid from the spinach and stir the spinach into the creamy sauce.
5. Place the creamy spinach over the chicken in the bowls. Add shredded cheese on top and bake the bowls in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and nicely golden.