A few years ago, I gave up making green juices and started blending my green drinks. That means I have no waste and a blender is so much easier to clean than a juicer. Win-win, right?
Whenever I search for inspiration to make these divine green drinks, I always get so disappointed when I find out the recipe calls for 4 apples, 1 banana and a few spinach leaves to color the juice green. I don’t drink fruit. At all!
A greenie / green smoothie in my perspective is mostly vegetables. If you want to add a little bit of sweet taste, you can add a few slices of apple or banana but you can also get a fair amount of sweetness from lemon or orange zest or from fresh herbs like basil or mint.
But why make it taste sweet at all? Why not make it a salty greenie? That’s excactly what I did here today and you know what? It’s delicious! It’s like drinking a vegetable soup or a gazpacho.
1 LARGE BOTTLE
- 4-5 celery stalks
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large handful of broccoli florets (mine were frozen)
- 0,5 small onion
- 1 small handful of fresh herbs (I used parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary)
- a little bit of hot sauce
- 0,5-1 tsp salt
- water – about 0,5 liter
2. Place broccoli and the remaining ingredients on top and top up with water. Now blend!
3. Add more water for a thinner drink and less water for a more smoothie-like texture.
I have a really powerful blender (Vitamix) but I’m sure this will work just fine in any kind of blender. Give it a try and let me know what you think!