Everybody loves cheesecake, right?
The good thing about a cheesecake is that it only requires very little added sweetener. And on this blog, we’re all about limiting the sweeteners used.
Instead of the traditional cracker crust, I made a crust of nuts that has a hint of caramel in it. Very delicious! The filling doesn’t require much sweetness so that wasn’t so hard. You can choose to decorate your cheesecake with red berries such as strawberries or raspberrries or even make a coulis. I chose differently this time and decorated it with fresh blueberries, chopped pistachio nuts and some freeze dried sea buckthorn (that might be a Scandinavian thing!).
Cheesecake is also the perfect cake to serve for dessert if you’re throwing a dinner party. You can make the whole cake the day before, and the only thing you have to do on the day in question is decorating it which will take you less than 5 minutes.
Let’s get to it!
SERVES 8-10 PERSONS
This recipe contains affiliate links.
- 100g almonds
- 100g pecan nuts
- 2 tablespoons of Sukrin (or Coconut Palm Sugar)
- 150g butter, melted
- 4 sheets of gelatin
- 300g of cream cheese (full fat)
- 3/4 cup of full fat sour cream (2 dl)
- Juice and zest from 1-2 organic limes
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of Sukrin Melis
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream (2 dl)
- 100g blueberries
- 75g unsalted pistachio nuts, chopped
- freezedried sea buckthorn
2. Place a sheet of baking paper in the bottom of a spring form (22 cm), grease the sides and press your nutty crust in here.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F/170°C and bake the crust for about 18-20 minutes. Take it out and allow it to cool.
4. Now the filling: Submerge your sheets of gelatin in cold water.
5. Beat cream cheese with Sukrin Melis, sour cream, vanilla and lime zest.
6. Warm op the lime juice and melt the soaked gelatin sheets in the juice. Whisk the lime juice-gelatin mix into the cheese filling.
7. Beat the cream until firm and carefully stir it into the cheese filling.
8. Place the filling on top of the nutty crust and chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or even better, over night.
9. Decorate the cake with your choice of topping and serve.
Note: You must use full fat dairy products for this recipe to succeed! So no light cream cheese or wannabe cream. Real products, people!
Products used in this recipe