These open faced pumpkin sandwiches are perhaps the most delicious thing I’ve eaten in quite a while! I served them as part of a lunch I made for Søren and I when we suddenly found ourselves having a whole weekend without any kids at home. The twins will be 10 next month and though we have taken quite a few mini breaks through the years, the weekends we have spent alone in our own house can be counted on one hand. The silence, the tidyness and the freedom, oh my! Having big kids suits me so well!
Søren is not too crazy about pumpkin which is really too bad for him, since I go pumpkin crazy every Fall. But these he liked! They’re inspired by the pumpkin mini pizzas with feta cheese and rosemary but have gotten completely different toppings.
MAKES 8 OPEN FACED SANDWICHES
- 8 slices of butternut squash
- olive oil
- 1 handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 4 dried tomatoes with parmesan and thyme (or any kind of sun dried tomatoes)
- parmesan, grated
- 1 avocado
- marinated red onions
2. Start from the top of the butternut squash and cut 8 thin slices.
3. Place the slices on a baking plate lined with parchment paper and brush both sides with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
4. Take the baking plate out of the oven. Place spinach, dried tomatoes and grated parmesan on 4 of them.
5. Set the oven on grill and allow it to warm up for a few minutes. Then place your baking plate in middle of the oven. Cook/grill for a few minutes until the parmesan and tomatoes have been grilled. In my oven that takes about 3 minutes but cooking time will vary from oven to oven so keep an eye on them at this stage.
6. Take them out and allow them to cool. Cut avocado in thin slices and place them on the remaining four pumpkin slices. Place marinated red onions on top. Now eat and be happy!