Are you a sucker for salt & vinegar crisps? Then you’ll love this recipe!
Once upon a time, in a different time, I lived in Paris. I had an English boyfriend at the time and he introduced me to potato chips (or crisps as he called them) with salt & vinegar. I thought they were downright hideous! As I’ve grown older, I’ve also grown more fond of this somewhat odd combination.
I don’t eat potato chips anymore but I do like a nice nutty snack once in a while. So I wanted to try to play around with the salt & vinegar combination and that turned out quite nice! These nuts don’t get the same intense flavor as potato chips but they have a significant vinegar flavor to them.
SALT & VINEGAR NUTS
- 200g nuts (I find almonds or cashew nuts to work best here)
- ¼ cup (½ dl) white wine vinegar
- 2-3 tsp of salt
2. Pour over vinegar and salt and let the nuts soak for about an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 200°F/100°C (fan).
4. Place the nuts on a baking plate lined with parchment paper. Spread the leftover vinegar over the nuts. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they are dried and golden. Sprinkle some extra salt on them. Allow to cool down and store in an air tight jar.
A small note…
I’m thinking we could get a more intense vinegar flavor by roasting the nuts in the vinegar on a pan like we do when we make the delicious salted almonds, and then dry them in the oven afterwards. I’ll give that a try next time.