When white cabbage is finely shredded and then slow cooked, it completely changes character and becomes really soft and tender. So tender that kids who may think they don’t like cabbage eat it anyway. It actually resembles noodles a bit in this dish so I named them cabbage noodles and my kids were completely sold to that idea.
My crock pot is one of my best pals in the kitchen. I love how I can just fill it with all kinds of good stuff and then let it be for hours and when I’m ready for dinner, it’s all done for me. If you don’t own a crock pot or some other kind of slow cooker already, I highly recommend that you put one on your wish list for Christmas!
This time I filled the crock pot with ground beef and white cabbage and some aromatic flavoring from ginger, tamari and sesame oil.
The big challenge with slow cooked meals like this one is that once it’s done, it’s very often just very… brown. I solved that by putting fresh spinach leaves in the bottom of each bowl and by topping the dish with green onions, avocado and fresh coriander leaves. That help a lot and added nice flavors to the dish too!
SERVES 4-6 PERSONS
- 800g white cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 15g of ginger (about the size of a thumb)
- ½ cup of beef broth (100 ml)
- ½ cup of tomato puré (100 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of tamari (gluten free soy)
- 5-10 drops of hot sauce
- 600g of ground beef
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- fresh spinach leaved
- green onion, finely chopped
- avocado cut in smaller chunks
- fresh coriander
2. Combine grated ginger, beef broth, tomato pure, coconut oil, sesame oil, tamari and hot sauce in a bowl. Mix well and mix it well into the cabbage.
3. Crumble the ground beef into the cabbage using your hands or a spoon.
4. I gave mine 1 hour on HIGH followed by 3-4 hours on LOW.
5. Place spinach leaves in the bottom of the serving bowls. Place the meat on top and garnish with green onion, avocado and fresh coriander.
This recipe is inspired by a recipe from the The Ketogenic Cookbook by Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich. Lots of inspiration to be found in that book! I bought mine on Amazon.co.uk who happily delivers to Denmark.