This warm almond-chia-porridge is the perfect replacement for your morning bowl of oatmeal if you want to lower your carb intake. It’s nice and warming and you get to put delicious things on top. And everybody knows that that’s the best part about eating porridge for breakfast.
I have never really been into porridge myself. I disliked it as a child and I dislike it as an adult. The first and only porridge I ever liked, was my low carb coconut porridge. I really enjoy that and eat it often – especially when I feel a need to eat less dairy.
I enjoy the occasional chia pudding as well but I don’t find that it keeps me full very long so I mostly eat it on the side to my morning eggs.
This porridge recipe combines the best of both worlds. I get a filling breakfast and I get to decorate with nice toppings. And to make sure I don’t go hungry, I have a boiled egg as well and obviously my coffee with coconut oil.
SERVES 1 PERSON
This recipe contains affiliate links.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 0,5 cup (100 ml) of coconut milk
- 0,25 cup (50 ml) of water
- 2 tablespoon of Fat-reduced Almond Flour by Sukrin*
- 1 egg
- a dash of vanilla powder
- a few apple slices
- a bit of butter
- some nutty granola
*It must be this specific type of almond flour since it’s extremely fiber rich and will help give your porridge the right texture. Another benefit from this type is that it’s also very high in protein.
2. In a saucepan, combine egg, almond flour and vanilla powder.
3. Prepare your chosen toppings.
4. Pour the chia-coconut-mix into the saucepan and bring to boil while stirring constantly. When the porridge boils, lower the temperature and let it simmer (while still stirring) until the porridge reaches your preferred consistency.
5. Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with your chosen toppings.