This Indian inspired salad with coriander and poppy seeds makes a light and healthy side dish for those aromatic or spicy Indian dishes like chicken tikka masala, korma or butter chicken.
I served this salad the other night when we had my friend and her family over for dinner. Yes, the one who lives in a mobile home while they’re having their house renovated. Usually when I cook Indian dishes, I make cauliflower rice or steamed broccoli or something similar that’s suitable for eating with the sauce but this time I was more in the mood for a crunchy salad.
Below you have the salad as well as some of the toppings we had for the Indian stew, I made. We had tamari roasted sunflower seeds, peanuts, toasted coconut and a few more. The kids always enjoy choosing toppings from the little bowls and decorating their food.
SERVES 4 PERSONS AS A SIDE DISH
- 1 whole pointed cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- juice from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 dash of ground cumin
- 1 large handfuld of fresh coriander
- 1-2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
2. In a small bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil and cumin and mix well. Mix into the salad.
3. Chop coriander roughly and mix into the salad.
4. Sprinkle over poppy seeds or mix them into the salad.
And obviously, you don’t have to eat it with Indian food. You can have it with whatever you prefer. I even had it for breakfast one morning together with some leftover meat. Worked well as a breakfast salad too!